Thursday, April 18, 2013

Picture It: Downtown Chattanooga (Part 1 of many, I'm sure)

 
The roof of the Coolidge Park carousel
 This afternoon, I had a little time to pass and had spent the afternoon working at the school I visit that is right by downtown. Since I was in the area, I had dropped of some clothing to trade at Collective Clothing 1 (in St. Elmo, right up the road from where these pictures were taken) and was scouring the store for fun things that I couldn't live without.  I found a small Bambi stuff animal from probably the 60's or so for a good price & I snatched it up, namely because it had the Disney company tag on it (I figure if all else fails and I don't stay in love with it forever, I can send to to a Disney museum or something....enough Mouse talk...).

Walnut Street Bridge

Alas, Bambi was all that I found, so I decided to head up town some to Collective Clothing 2 and check out what all they had gotten new in stock since I visited a few weeks back. Driving over, I debated where to park in the popular area of town I was headed and decided to take the opportunity on the nice day for a walk to get over to the store. Thusly, I parked across the river from CC2 (sorry, I can't give up my free parking spot info though! Those things are hard to find...) and was ready to walk across the Walnut Street Bridge, a solely pedestrian bridge and one of my favorite places to be in all of downtown.



The Hunter Museum of American Art- I'm a proud annual pass holding member.
I noticed the older gentleman parking beside me had his camera and tripod out and looked like he was on a mission  and it hit me that I needed to take pictures myself to share the beauty of this place with you all.

When I was in high school, I couldn't wait to go away to college and I eventually did, starting my freshmen year at MTSU (go blue raiders!) and distinctly remember saying to many of my college friends, at many different points in the 4.5 years I was in Murfreesboro that Chattanooga was boring and I didn't want to move back to this town.  Looking back, I was wrong to say that- sure there may not be quite the scene that's going on in Nashville or Atlanta here in Chattanooga, but it's pretty awesome- we've got some really rad culture going on and on days like today, the beauty is extra extra visible to anyone who steps outside to enjoy it.
Alexander Calder whale sculpture at the Hunter Museum- <3 AC's work!

That being said, I hope you enjoy the pictures and if it strikes your fancy enough, come to visit- or at least take a little vacation in your mind for a few minutes.


Coolidge Park Fountain- a Summertime staple for kids

My favorite pink wall. Want to do a photo shoot here badly.


There are more of these huge wheatpastes all over town currently of local musicians. PprWrk does amazing things.

Links to awesome things/places mentioned:

Hunter Museum of American Art
Julie Darling Donuts  (Home of think pink wall)
PprWrk


-J

"Adventure is out there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment